SMEs employ millions, and their growth and success have huge impacts on the UK economy. Small businesses are essential to the UK, with over 99% of all private sector businesses across the UK being made up of small and medium enterprises (SMEs). The EU defines a SME as a business with a turnover less than €50 million and fewer than 250 employees. Most British businesses are small and medium enterprises. Get to grips with these key SME stats:
- Just 0.1% of UK enterprises have over 250 employees.
- UK SMEs had a combined turnover of £2.0 trillion in 2018, just over half of the private sector’s overall turnover.
- SMEs employ over 16.3 million people, more than 60% of all private-sector employment.
- Only 0.6% of British businesses are classed as medium-sized businesses (50-249 employees).
- 99.5% of every main sector are made up of small businesses.
- Micro-businesses make up 96% of businesses in the UK, employing fewer than 10 people.
- Independent owner-operators make up 59% of UK private sector businesses
How SafeContractor can support your small business
In a recent customer survey, 60% of our independent contractors said that they joined SafeContractor to professionalize their business. In 2019 we worked with existing members to produce case studies describing precisely how SafeContractor accreditation had helped them to enhance their business reputation and subsequent win more work:
- Hydrotech Environmental & Civils doubled their turnover and grew from sole trader to employing nine full-time staff in under 12 months.
- Well Grounded Garden and Grounds Maintenance increased turnover by 12% in less than a year.
- Little Duck Cleaning Services use SafeContractor to stand out against their competition.
Have a SafeContractor story you’d like us to share? Email our marketing team.
The majority of our SafeContractor approved contractor base are small businesses, and half of our survey respondents with 15 employees or less stated that they had won more work as a direct result of achieving accreditation with SafeContractor. As a SSIP founding member, we have over 20 years’ experience in accrediting contractors and supporting their small business. We have over 33,000 SafeContractor members who demonstrate their commitment to Health and Safety best practice with the support of our fantastic in-house team. Find out more about joining SafeContractor.
Exclusive SafeContractor savings for your small business
On top of providing our members with a UK-leading health and safety accreditation, we also strive to support their small business by saving them money on their business running costs with our exclusive member benefits package.
Save thousands on business essentials
Our partnership with Bionic endeavours to meet the unique demands of your small business, working hard to save our SafeContractor members up to £3,000 a year combined on their business energy, connectivity and insurances.
Exclusive trade savings of 10% for your business
Over a third of our members saved at TradePoint and B&Q last year with our exclusive TradePoint card. Our partnership with TradePoint entitles SafeContractor members to a 10% discount with no minimum spend.
Refuelling benefits for your business fleet
SafeContractor members can run their vehicle fleet more cost-effectively and compliantly by using MyFleetHub. Our fuel card partner can save your small business up to 10p per litre at over 7,000 nationwide pumps.
Expert HR and Health & Safety advice for small businesses
We know that small businesses are huge players in the UK economy, despite their small number of employees, which is why we provide our members with 24/7 expert Health and Safety and HR support, provided by Alcumus PSM. To learn more about how SafeContractor can support your small business and help you to up your game in 2020, get in touch with our membership services team on 0371 705 3587.